|Activity in the bedroom
||[Aug. 23rd, 2016|10:02 pm]
I haven't reported on the progress of the great redecoration project, because progress is very slow. After all the rushing to move books and furniture, we seem to have entered a phase in which each advance involves placing an order and waiting for something to happen. It isn't very exciting. But, for the record:
- The decoration, which a month ago, when I last wrote about it, was about to start, has been completed, and the wardrobes have been fitted.
- The carpet has been ordered, and paid for. Now we are waiting three to four weeks fot it to be delivered. No doubt it is being woven, especially for us, in an oasis between Bokhara and Samarkand. Except that it isn't that kind of carpet.
- Oh, well, this gives us time to get some remedial work done on the worst - i.e. most uneven - of the floorboards on which it will lie.
- How much mess can this make? Surely I could hang some clothes in the new wardrobes, as long as the doors are kept closed: what could possibly go wrong? Anyway, I decided I'd risk it. There are now clothes hanging in wardrobes, which can be slid along the rail for easy access: no more wrestling with a thicket of shirts to find the one I want. Of course, I'm not yet sleeping in the room with my clothes in it, but it's a start.
- I had been assuming that the existing wardrobe (or rather, the new wardrobe which replaced the existing one) would belong to durham_rambler, and the one nearer the window would be mine. There was no reason for this - except that when we moved in, we'd agreed that the present arrangement was purely temporary, and we would convert the other cupboard into a wardrobe for me. It wasn't until the work was complete that I realised this would put durham_rambler's wardrobe opposite my side of the bed, and vice versa. When I pointed this out, durham_rambler said he had known it all along, but said nothing, because he assumed I had my reasons. Fortunately, the only difference is that there is a full-length mirror inside the door of the wardrobe which was to have belonged to durham_rambler but is now mine. He'll just have to open my wardrobe to use it.
- Yes, things really are exciting around here.
- I think I have found a source of curtains in the same design as the wallpaper. I'm a little hesitant about ordering sight unseen from a company I found online, but disproportionately reassured by the fact that they are based in Saltaire. Anyway, we are in correspondence.